Saturday, September 22, 2012

Where it all began, is where it's all gonna END!

Hollie

Roy and I didn’t completely think Boston out.  Like where in the world are we going to park a 15 passenger van?  Most of the garages have too low a clearance.  The meters only allow you to park for 2 hours.  And some of the above ground spots charge outrageous prices!

We got a late start as normal on Monday, our first day into Boston.  We couldn’t really decided where to start.  Boston has so much history and so many places to go and do and see, it was hard to decide.  After much deliberation, we decided to go to George’s Island.  This is where Roy asked me to marry him.  We start on our journey and I discover that Roy really has no idea how to get there.  For some reason, he thought that despite it being years since he drove in Boston, it would all just come back to him.  It didn’t.  So now I am trying to look at a map and figure out where we should go.  How did people ever get around before GPS on their phones?

Trying to navigate Boston is kind of like trying to sail a ship in the middle of the ocean.  You have a general idea of where to go, but when it really comes down to it, you have no idea which way you are heading, despite a map and a lady on the navigator yelling at you that you missed the turn.  Oh wait, that was me yelling.

We finally figure out where the correct dock is, and realize we have no idea where to park.  Roy starts driving in circles, and ovals, and squares, and triangles and still we have no idea where to park.  Patience is wearing thin by now folks.  I direct him to one garage after another to find out they all have low clearance, or don’t allow vans, even though we would fit!  We finally find one lot and they want $40!  FORTY BUCKS!! Are you kidding me?  I immediately say no way, find somewhere else!  This is where the heated discussion begins (read: argument).

Roy logically points out that we have been driving for over an hour looking for a parking space and there are none that will fit our van.  I logically point out that FORTY BUCKS for parking is absolutely ridiculous and there is no way we can spend a week here and pay FORTY BUCKS every day!  The kids logically point out that they all have to pee and if we don’t find a place soon, we will have wet van seats.  Finally, Roy pulls into the FORTY BUCKS place and I take deep breaths and try not to hyperventilate.

Oh wait, it gets better!  After we finally get everything unloaded and Roy backs the van into a spot made for compact cars, we head toward the dock looking for bathrooms along the way.  We decide to split up, (no not the marriage, yet…) and he will buy tickets for the ferry while I take those who need it to the bathroom.  As I head back towards the dock, I see Roy with this look on his face that says “please don’t kill me”.  It seems the ferry only runs Thursdays – Sundays now.  Did I mention it was Monday?  I promptly told Roy that I just figured out the title of my next blog post.  You are reading it. ;o)
There is something about lunch that makes all your troubles melt away.  And it was sunny.  Sun helps too.

No comments:

Post a Comment