Friday, September 21, 2012

Where It All Began

Hollie

I met Roy at a Christian leadership retreat in Rhode Island with Campus Crusade for Christ. We both were assigned dishes duty. No, it was not love at first sight, not even close, despite the fact that he did dishes!

We became friends several months later.  That friendship grew into courtship, which grew into an engagement and 3 years after we met we were married.  Everybody saw this coming but me.

Our family arrived in Boston Saturday night and went to church at Park Street Church in Boston.  We then headed out to Medford to have lunch with our dear friends the Laymans.  Helen was my leader for CCC and she invested her life in me.  She taught me what it meant to live my life for Christ, and I will be forever thankful for her.  After I graduated college, the Laymans invited me to live in their home. I helped take care of their 2 boys for a reduced rate rent.  Since I was a very poor post college grad, it was a wonderful arrangement.  I loved their boys dearly and had already been babysitting them since they were babies.

Helen and Jim also helped Roy and I walk through our courtship and engagement.  When it came time for Roy and I to get married, we wanted someone who knew both of us to marry us.  Jim seemed like a great choice.  He knew us, and he had invested into us, and he loved us, and us him.  However, Jim wasn’t a pastor, and had no authority to marry us. We were excited when he said yes, and then went through the process to become ordained.
I met Helen when she was pregnant with Jono, and now here he is 19 years later with my baby.
Steven and Jim playing catch.
Helen and Jackie.
I think Caleb is getting tired of all the group pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment